Today, businesspersons jump on the social media bandwagon for marketing their products and services as well as targeting a specific audience. As a result, the whole new discipline of marketing known as social media marketing (SMM) is being developed. But then, without having a proper knowledge about impact of various social media platforms on people, SMM campaign can be backfired. In other words, social media is a double-edged sword that can either make or break your business.
Different social media platforms attract various people having varied interests, but any one platform attracts people sharing similar interests. Therefore, it is necessary to know which platform is preferable for what purpose and who can use it for promoting products. Read on to know about top five most engaging social media platforms that can efficiently and effectively promote your products if you have an idea about their characteristics:
- Facebook: Facebook tops the category of the most popular social media platforms across the world. As it boasts about more than 1.2 billion users, it is the most useful platform for establishing sound client-business owner relationship. If you have a product useful for teens or young adults, then this is a platform for you. However, its widest reach makes it suitable for promoting any business. It is the best platform for building a brand.
- Twitter: It is the second most popular social media platform across the world, but when it comes to news, it is the most sought after platform among all. The recent survey shows that about 9 out of 10, or nearly 86 percent of social media users opt for Twitter for the breaking news. It is the best platform for brand reputation as majority users follow brands on it. Companies that are in the business of SaaS (System as a Service) and marketing can use Twitter for business promotion.
- LinkedIn: It is known as a professionals’ social network as most of the people working in the sectors like high tech, finance and manufacturing extensively use this platform. It has a huge influence on both job seekers and employers. All professional businesses must be on LinkedIn to get the benefits of its huge database. Freelance marketers, bloggers, journalists, designers, etc. can use this platform for expanding their business.
- Google+: It is ideal for content sharing. Features like Hangout, Circles, and YouTube compatibility make content marketing more effective on Google+. As most of its users are from technical and engineering fields, companies related to those fields can promote business through this platform. It is known as an individual-friendly platform on which marketers can promote products through content. Businesses can also get an advantage of search engine while using this platform.
- Instagram: Though the platform is considered as the fifth most popular social media platform, it has got the second rank in terms of having the most loyal users just after Twitter. It has a dominance of the age group from 18 to 29 years, and therefore, businesses can use this platform to target this audience. It is the best platform for photographers along with Pinterest.
However, it is difficult to say that all such platforms will work in the same fashion in the future also as all of them keep on changing functionality and improving performance to cope with increasing competition! Therefore, any entrepreneur who opts for marketing on social media platforms should get the basic information regarding their reach and methodology prior to using them.