We all are living in an era of “Health cautiousness”. Gone are the days when people use to drink Ghee (a liquefied butter), and prosperity of a nation was measured by abundance of milk and butter. Today we are weight-cholesterol-blood pressure-stroke-diabetes-heart-attack aware. A round belly is no more regarded as a sign of prosperity. Slim body is no more identified with poverty. We do workouts, take walks, dance, do aerobics, and play games to burn calories and keep our weight in check.
But what do we do to keep our application from becoming bulky and lethargic?
Tips for Keeping Apps Light and Fast
1. Watch your weight – Watch your footprint
In this multi terra-byte world, probably we do not care about footprint. However, a small footprint means more space for data and probably speedier processing in identical environment.
What can be done to keep the footprint small?
- Remove unnecessary files not being used by system
- Do not keep more than one copy of the programs.
- Remove backup files.
- If necessary, compress images to a higher compression (taking care of quality).
- If there is video, use an efficient codec to keep its size small.
2. Watch your hunger – watch your RAM need
In shared hosted environment, memory is at a premium. If we use it efficiently, system will perform faster with same setup.
- Third party add-ons to systems like Magento, Joomla, Drupal should be used carefully as these may eat a lot of precious RAM.
- Also, too many images will increase Ram usage.
- Most new versions of software have higher memory requirements, be aware of that. I am not saying to use older versions of software, but if shared hosting environment demands, you may have to do just that.
3. Run 100 meters in under 10 seconds – keep your code efficient
An inefficient query can increase execution time exponentially (several folds). A logical error can make your system crawl. There was a time when we use to code in C and C++, a few different sets of codes for same problem, compile and run with time command to see which was more efficient. Today we have automated tools like query analyzers and performance tester software. Efficient programming was always a matter of good programming habits, and will always remain that way.
A healthy body gives you energy to work. A healthy-efficient project can bring the following benefits:
- For websites a visitor may navigate away if the response time is not good. To keep him interested, it is mandatory to have slim and trim and fast code coupled with efficient architecture.
- For applications, it may mean better user experience, more efficient service to “their customers.” More importantly, it reduces the carbon print of the application. An efficient application will save energy in two ways
4. Reduce the “On time” of computer being used
Reduce the CPU utilization thereby reducing the energy consumption of the machine (and prolong the life of CPU too).
So let us all pledge to ourselves for the sake of society, for the sake of the company we are working for, for the customers and above all for ourselves – we will not write and/or accept inefficient code.
- 'No new videos.'